Colonoscopy Prep 3: Halflytely
TriCities Digestive Health Center, P.S. 8819 W. Victoria Ave., Kennewick, WA 99336 (509) 4605500
Preparation for Colonoscopy: Halflytely
*This prep requires a prescription, please contact the office to obtain a prescription*
Please read these instructions at least 7 days prior to the exam.
Colonoscopy is an internal visual examination of the entire colon using a flexible scope. A sedative will be given to reduce the discomfort and pressure usually experienced with this exam.
YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DRIVE FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE DAY. It is REQUIRED that you have someone to drive you home. It is also REQUIRED that your driver check in with you when you come for your procedure, and stay in our office while you are here for your procedure. Plan on being here for 1 to 1½ hours.
Do not plan any out of town trips for one week after your colonoscopy. If the doctor finds polyps, he may remove them (polypectomy). It is important to remain close to home in the event of side effects or complications, such as bleeding.
NOTE: Individual responses to laxatives vary but this prep will cause multiple bowel movements. It may work within 30 minutes, or take as long as 4 hours before the diarrhea starts. Please remain close to toilet facilities.
SEVEN DAYS BEFORE COLONOSCOPY:
TWO DAYS BEFORE COLONOSCOPY:
1. Clear liquid diet starting at 4:00 p.m. Clear liquids include: JellO, soft drinks, broth, coffee, tea, pulp free fruit juice, Gatorade and Popsicles. NO DAIRY PRODUCTS. Eat nothing with red coloring or dye as this may be mistaken for blood by your physician.
2. Hold any fiber supplements such as Metamucil, Citrucel, Benefiber, etc., until after your procedure.
ONE DAY BEFORE COLONOSCOPY:
1. Continue with clear liquid diet only.
2. 12:00 Noon, take ALL OF THE BISACODYL TABLETS THAT COME IN THE BOX with water. Do not crush or chew. Do not take antacids within one hour of tablets.
3. Mix the HalfLytely solution by adding lukewarm drinking water to the top of line on the bottle. Cap the bottle and shake to dissolve the powder. Do not add any other flavorings to the solution except those that are included in the package.
4. Starting at 6:00 p.m. drink 1 (8oz.) glass every 10 minutes (about 8 glasses). Drink each glass quickly rather than drinking small amounts continuously. BE SURE TO DRINK ALL OF THE SOLUTION. Do not take any other medications within one hour of starting
to drink the solution. If you have severe discomfort or distension (bloating), stop drinking the solution for a while or wait longer between drinking each glass until the discomfort eases. You may continue with a clear liquid diet after finishing the laxative solution. (Once you drink the laxative solution, remain close to toilet facilities, as it is expected for the laxative to work quickly)
5. At 9:30 p.m. take 2 Bisacodyl tablets with water.
1. Necessary medications may be taken with a sip of water at least 3 hours before your procedure. Otherwise do not have anything to eat or drink after midnight the night before the procedure.
2. Wear comfortable loosefitting clothing to the exam.
APPOINTMENT DATE: _______________________________
ARRIVAL TIME*: ________________________________
*Please note: Your appointment time indicates the time you need to be at the office for preparation. It does not indicate the time the procedure will start.
YOU WILL RECEIVE CONSCIOUS SEDATION DURING YOUR COLONOSCOPY. IT WILL NOT BE SAFE, OR LEGAL, FOR YOU TO DRIVE AFTERWARDS. IT IS REQUIRED THAT YOU HAVE SOMEONE TO DRIVE YOU HOME.
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A DRIVER WITH YOU WHEN YOU COME FOR YOUR PROCEDURE, WE WILL CANCEL YOUR PROCEDURE.
IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO KEEP THIS APPOINTMENT, PLEASE GIVE 48 HOURS ADVANCE NOTICE TO ALLOW FOR SOMEONE ELSE, WHO MAY BE WAITING AND IN NEED OF A PROCEDURE, TIME TO USE THIS ALLOTTED APPOINTMENT SLOT. THANK YOU.
Discuss any medications that you are currently taking with the nurse.
DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN, PLAVIX, OR ANY OTHER BLOOD THINNERS FOR 7 DAYS PRIOR TO THE COLONOSCOPY. DO NOT TAKE COUMADIN FOR 5 DAYS PRIOR TO THE EXAM.