Colonoscopy Prep 2: Nulytely
Colonoscopy Prep 2: Nulytely
TRICITIES DIGESTIVE HEALTH CENTER, P.S.
8819 W. Victoria Ave., Kennewick, WA 99336
PREPARATION FOR COLONOSCOPY – NULYTELY
METHOD PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS AT LEAST 7 DAYS PRIOR TO EXAM.
This prep requires a prescription please contact the office to obtain one. Colonoscopy is a detailed internal visual examination of the entire colon using a flexible scope. A sedative will be given to reduce the discomfort and pressure usually experienced with this exam.
YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DRIVE FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE DAY. It is REQUIRED that you have someone to drive you home. It is also REQUIRED that your driver check in with you when you come for your procedure, and stay in our office while you are here for your procedure. Plan on being here for 1 to 1 ½ hours. Do not plan any out of town trips for one week after your colonoscopy. If the doctor finds polyps he may remove them (polypectomy). It is important to remain close to home in the event of side effects or complications from this, such as bleeding
NOTE: Individual responses to laxatives vary but this prep will cause multiple bowel movements. It may work within 30 minutes, or take as long as 4 hours before the diarrhea starts. Please remain close to toilet facilities.
SEVEN DAYS BEFORE COLONOSCOPY:
Discuss any medications that you are currently taking with the nurse.
STOP NSAIDS (IBUPROFEN, ALEVE, etc…). YOU MAY CONTINUE TAKING ASPIRIN IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY ON IT FOR CARDIOVASCULAR PROTECTION. IF YOU ARE TAKING PLAVIX, COUMADIN, ELIQUIS, XARELTO, PRADAXA, OR OTHER BLOOD THINNERS, SHOULD STOP IT. If you have questions about any medications that you are currently taking, please discuss them with the nurse.
TWO DAYS BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
diet: no fruits, vegetables, nuts or fibrous grains. No fiber supplements (i.e.: Metamucil, Citrucel, Benefiber, etc…)
ONE DAY BEFORE COLONOSCOPY:
1. You may have two (2) plain scrambled eggs for breakfast (no onion or other vegetables added).
2. After breakfast, start on clear liquids only. Clear liquids include: JellO, soft drinks, broth, coffee, tea, fruit juice (pulpfree),
Gatorade and popsicles, but NO dairy products. PLEASE DO NOT HAVE ANY RED LIQUID OR JELLO, as these may be mistaken for blood by your physician. Drink as much as you like.
3. At 12:00 noon take 4 (four) Bisacodyl (Dulcolax) tablets.
4. At 5:00 pm, start drinking from the 4 liter container containing the laxative. You will drink 1 cup of this liquid every 10 minutes until you have consumed 12 cups. It is important to the success of the exam that the colon be properly prepared. You may continue with a clear liquid diet after finishing the laxative solution. Remain close to toilet facilities, as it is expected that the laxative solution will work quickly.
1. Four hours prior to your scheduled arrival time ________________________, drink the remaining 4 cups of laxative in the containerÍ¾
1 cup every 10 minutes.
2. After finishing the above prep, nothing else by mouth prior to the procedure. You may take necessary medications with a sip
of water no later than 3 hours prior to your procedure.
3. Wear comfortable loosefitting clothing to the exam. PREP KIT FROM PHARMACY OF YOUR CHOICE:
(4) Dulcolax (Bisacodyl) tablets, 5mg/tab Colyte, Golytely or Nulytely, (1) 4 liter container
APPOINTMENT DATE__________________________ ARRIVAL TIME*:_____________________________
*Please note: Your appointment time indicates the time you need to be at the office for preparation. It does not indicate the time the procedure will start.
YOU WILL RECEIVE CONSCIOUS SEDATION DURING YOUR COLONOSCOPY. IT WILL NOT BE SAFE, OR LEGAL, FOR YOU TO DRIVE AFTERWARDS. IT IS REQUIRED THAT YOU HAVE SOMEONE TO DRIVE YOU HOME. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A DRIVER WITH YOU WHEN YOU COME FOR YOUR PROCEDURE, WE WILL CANCEL YOUR PROCEDURE. IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO KEEP THIS APPOINTMENT, PLEASE GIVE OUR OFFICE 48 HOURS ADVANCE NOTICE TO ALLOW FOR SOMEONE ELSE, WHO MAY BE WAITING AND IN NEED OF A PROCEDURE, TIME TO USE THIS ALLOTTED APPOINTMENT SLOT. THANK YOU.